Abbreviations used in this paper:BPCI (Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009), CD (Crohn’s disease), FDA (Food and Drug Administration), IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), PD (pharmacodynamics), PHSA (Public Health Service Act), PK (pharmacokinetics), UC (ulcerative colitis)
- Awareness, knowledge, and perceptions of biosimilars among specialty physicians.Adv Ther. 2017; 33: 2160-2172
- FDA's overview of the regulatory guidance for the development and approval of biosimilar products in the US.(Available at:)https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevHowDrugsareDevelo/ApprovalApplications/TherapeuticBiologicApplications/Biosimilars/UCM428732.pdf(Accessed December 7, 2017)Date: 2016
- Applying biologic therapies to the management of patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2014; 43: 577
- Biosimilars 101: considerations for U.S. oncologists in clinical practice.Cancer Med. 2014; 3: 889-899
- The protein science of biosimilars.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006; 21: 4-8
- Scientific considerations in demonstrating biosimilarity to a reference product. Guidance for industry.(Available at:)https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM291128.pdf(Accessed December 7, 2017)Date: 2015
- Biosimilar development, review, and approval.(Available at:)https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevelopedandApproved/ApprovalApplications/TherapeuticBiologicApplications/Biosimilars/ucm580429.htm(Accessed December 7, 2017)Date: 2017
- (Available at:)Accessed December 7, 2017)
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Purple book: Lists of licensed biological products with reference product exclusivity and biosimilarity or interchangeability evaluations. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/developmentapprovalprocess/howdrugsaredevelopedandapproved/approvalapplications/therapeuticbiologicapplications/biosimilars/ucm411418.htm. Accessed December 7, 2017.
- A randomised, double-blind, multicentre, parallel-group, prospective study comparing the pharmacokinetics, safety, and efficacy of CT-P13 and innovator infliximab in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: the PLANETAS study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 1605-1612
- A randomised, double-blind, parallel-group study to demonstrate equivalence in efficacy and safety of CT-P13 compared with innovator infliximab when coadministered with methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: the PLANETRA study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 1613-1620
- Biosimilar and interchangeable products.(Available at:)https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevelopedandApproved/ApprovalApplications/TherapeuticBiologicApplications/Biosimilars/ucm580419.htm(Accessed December 7, 2017)Date: 2017
- Considerations in demonstrating interchangeability with a reference product guidance for industry.(Available at:)https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM537135.pdf(Accessed July 22, 2018)Date: 2017
- Switching from originator infliximab to biosimilar CT-P13 compared with maintained treatment with originator infliximab (NOR-SWITCH): a 52-week, randomised, double-blind, non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2017; 389: 2304-2316
- Cross-immunogenicity: antibodies to infliximab in Remicade-treated patients with IBD similarly recognise the biosimilar Remsima.Gut. 2016; 65: 1132-1138
- Biosimilars for the treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases: a systematic review of published evidence.BioDrugs. 2016; 30: 525-570
- Clinical outcomes following a switch from Remicade(R) to the biosimilar CT-P13 in inflammatory bowel disease patients: A prospective observational cohort study.J Crohns Colitis. 2016; 10: 1287-1293
- Long-term clinical outcomes after switching from Remicade® to biosimilar CT-P13 in inflammatory bowel disease.Dig Dis Sci. 2017; 62: 3117-3122
- Switching between infliximab originator and biosimilar in paediatric patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Preliminary Observations.J Crohns Colitis. 2016; 10: 127-132
Sieczkowska J, Jarzebicka D, Oracz G, et al. Immunogenicity after switching from reference infliximab to biosimilar in children with Crohn’s disease. In: Proceedings from the European Crohn's and Colitis Organisation. March 16–19, 2016; Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Abstract P617.
- Biosimilar infliximab in inflammatory bowel disease: outcomes of a managed switching programme.J Crohns Colitis. 2017; 11: 690-696
- Infliximab biosimilar (Remsima™) in therapy of inflammatory bowel diseases patients: experience from one tertiary inflammatory bowel diseases centre.Dig Dis. 2017; 35: 91-100
Díaz Hernández L, Rodríguez González GE, Vela González M, et al. Efficacy and safety of switching between originator and biosimilar infliximab in patients with inflammatory bowel disease in practical clinic: results to 6 months (Abstract P449). Presented at: European Crohn's and Colitis Organisation; March 16–19, 2016; Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Serum concentrations after switching from originator infliximab to the biosimilar CT-P13 in patients with quiescent inflammatory bowel disease (SECURE): an open-label, multicentre, phase 4 non-inferiority trial.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 3: 404-412
Conflicts of interest This author discloses the following: Geoffrey C. Nguyen. Abbvie, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer, Merck & Co, Inc, Samsung Bioepis, and Amgen. The remaining authors disclose no conflicts.