Background & Aims
Abbreviations used in this paper:AASLD (American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases), CI (confidence interval), HCV (hepatitis C virus), HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), IDSA (Infectious Diseases Society for America), KPNC (Kaiser Permanente Northern California), LDV/SOF (ledipasvir/sofosbuvir), RR (risk ratio), SVR (sustained virologic response)
- Ledipasvir and sofosbuvir for 8 or 12 weeks for chronic HCV without cirrhosis.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1879-1888
- Ledipasvir and sofosbuvir for previously treated HCV genotype 1 infection.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1483-1493
- Ledipasvir and sofosbuvir for untreated HCV genotype 1 infection.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1889-1898
Food and Drug Administration. Prescribing information for HARVONI. 2014. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/205834s000lbl.pdf. Accessed December 13, 2017.
Recommendations for testing, managing, and treating hepatitis C. 2017. Available at: http://www.hcvguidelines.org. Accessed September 27, 2017.
Marcus JL, Hurley LB, Chamberland S, et al. Disparities in initiation of direct-acting antiviral agents for hepatitis C virus infection in an insured population. Public Health Rep. [In press].
- Safety and efficacy of ledipasvir-sofosbuvir in black patients with hepatitis C virus infection: a retrospective analysis of phase 3 data.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 437-444
- The association between race/ethnicity and the effectiveness of direct antiviral agents for hepatitis C virus infection.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 426-438
- Subgroup differences in response to 8 weeks of ledipasvir/sofosbuvir for chronic hepatitis C.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2014; 1 (ofu110)
- Effectiveness of sofosbuvir, ledipasvir/sofosbuvir, or paritaprevir/ritonavir/ombitasvir and dasabuvir regimens for treatment of patients with hepatitis C in the Veterans Affairs National Health Care System.Gastroenterology. 2016; 151: 457-471 e455
- Real-world effectiveness and predictors of sustained virological response with all-oral therapy in 21,242 hepatitis C genotype-1 patients.Antivir Ther. 2017; 22: 481-493
- Real-world effectiveness of ledipasvir/sofosbuvir in 4,365 treatment-naive, genotype 1 hepatitis C-infected patients.Hepatology. 2016; 64: 405-414
- Comparative effectiveness of ledipasvir/sofosbuvir +/- ribavirin vs ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir + dasabuvir +/- ribavirin in 6961 genotype 1 patients treated in routine medical practice.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2016; 44: 400-410
- Eight weeks of ledipasvir/sofosbuvir is effective for selected patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C virus infection.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 1094-1103
Gordon N. Similarity of the adult Kaiser Permanente membership in Northern California to the insured and general population in northern California: statistics from the 2011 California Health Interview Survey. 2015. Available at: https://divisionofresearch.kaiserpermanente.org/projects/memberhealthsurvey/SiteCollectionDocuments/chis_non_kp_2011.pdf. Accessed September 27, 2017.
Heading off and helping with unhealthy alcohol use. 2014. Available at: https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/article/heading-off-and-helping-with-unhealthy-alcohol-use/. Accessed August 11, 2017.
- HIV infection and the risk of cancers with and without a known infectious cause.AIDS. 2009; 23: 2337-2345
- Ethnic disparities in diabetic complications in an insured population.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2519-2527
- Noninvasive serum fibrosis markers for screening and staging chronic hepatitis C virus patients in a large US cohort.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 240-246
- Utilization of FibroScan in clinical practice.Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2014; 16: 372
- The validity of serum markers for fibrosis staging in chronic hepatitis B and C.J Viral Hepat. 2014; 21: 930-937
Conflicts of interest These authors disclose the following: J.L.M. reports research grant support from Merck. M.J.S. and C.P.Q. report research grant support from Pfizer and Merck. M.P.P. reports research grant support from Merck and Gilead. The remaining authors disclose no conflicts.
Funding Supported by the Kaiser Permanente Delivery Science Research Program and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases ( K01 122853 to J.L.M.).