Background & Aims
Abbreviations used in this paper:CHS (cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome), CDU (cannabis dependence unspecified), CI (confidence interval), IRR (incidence rate ratio), ITS (interrupted time series), OR (odds ratio), PV (persistent vomiting), THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol)
- Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome: Diagnosis, pathophysiology, and treatment-a systematic review.J Med Toxicol. 2017; 13: 71-87
2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Available at: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-DetTabs-2015/NSDUH-DetTabs-2015/NSDUH-DetTabs-2015.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Temporal trends in marijuana attitudes, availability and use in Colorado compared to non-medical marijuana states: 2003–11.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 140: 145-155
UCLA Medical Marijuana Research. Distribution of medical marijuana dispensaries from 2007 to 2014, Los Angeles, CA. 2015. Available at: http://www.uclamedicalmarijuanaresearch.com/sites/default/files/MMD_ResearchBrief1v5.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Trends in registered medical marijuana participation across 13 US states and District of Columbia.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 159: 72-79
- Why it is probably too soon to assess the public health effects of legalization of recreational cannabis use in the USA.Lancet Psychiatry. 2016; 3: 900-906
- Memorandum for selected United States attorneys on investigations and prosecutions in states authorizing the medical use of marijuana.Department of Justice. October 19, 2009; (Available at:) (Accessed June 20, 2017)
eRepublic. State marijuana laws in 2017. Governing the states and localities. Available at: http://www.governing.com/gov-data/state-marijuana-laws-map-medical-recreational.html. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- The effects of medical marijuana laws on illegal marijuana use.J Health Econ. 2014; 38: 43-61
Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. National inpatient sample. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Available at: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jsp. Accessed March 23, 2017.
- Interrupted time series regression for the evaluation of public health interventions: a tutorial.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 348-355
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome and functional vomiting in adults: association with cannabinoid use in males.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2012; 24: 20-26.e1
- Regression based quasi-experimental approach when randomization is not an option: interrupted time series analysis.BMJ. 2015; 350: h2750
- Interrupted time series analysis in drug utilization research is increasing: systematic review and recommendations.J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 950-956
- Regression with social data: Modeling continuous and limited response variables.Wiley, Hoboken, NJ2004
- Marijuana legalization: what everyone needs to know.Oxford University Press, New York2012
- The effect of medical marijuana laws on adolescent and adult use of marijuana, alcohol, and other substances.J Health Econ. 2015; 42: 64-80
- Developing public health regulations for marijuana: lessons from alcohol and tobacco.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 1021-1028
- Synthetic cannabinoids.Am J Med Sci. 2015; 350: 59-62
- Synthetic cannabinoid intoxication: a case series and review.J Emerg Med. 2013; 44: 360-363
- A case of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome caused by synthetic cannabinoids.J Emerg Med. 2013; 45: 544-546
- Synthetic cannabinoid leading to cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 1168-1169
- The importance of recognizing cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome from synthetic marijuana use.J Med Toxicol. 2017; 13: 199-200
- Validation of key behaviorally based mental health diagnoses in administrative data: suicide attempt, alcohol abuse, illicit drug abuse and tobacco use.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 18
Conflicts of interest The authors disclose no conflicts.