Background & Aims
Abbreviations used in this paper:CCFA (Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America), CD (Crohn’s disease), CI (confidence intervals), DSQ (Dietary Screener Questionnaire), IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), IC (indeterminate colitis), OR (odds ratio), UC (ulcerative colitis)
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fiber in the treatment and maintenance of inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014; 20: 576-586
- Development of an internet-based cohort of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases (CCFA Partners): methodology and initial results.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012; 18: 2099-2106
National Cancer Institute. Dietary Screener Quesitonnaire in the NHANES 2009-2010: data processing & scoring procedures. Applied Research Cancer Control and Population Sciences. Available at: http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/nhanes/dietscreen/scoring/. Accessed September 16, 2015.
- Performance of the automated self-administered 24-hour recall relative to a measure of true intakes and to an interviewer-administered 24-h recall.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 233-240
National Cancer Institute. Dietary factors, food items asked, and testing status for Dietary Screener Questions for NHANES 2009-10. Available at: http://epi.grants.cancer.gov/nhanes/dietscreen/evaluation.html. Accessed August 31, 2015.
- Development of a Crohn's disease activity index. National Cooperative Crohn's Disease Study.Gastroenterology. 1976; 70: 439-444
- A simple clinical colitis activity index.Gut. 1998; 43: 29
- Trends in dietary fiber intake in the United States, 1999-2008.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 642-648
- Fiber as protective against gastrointestinal diseases.Am J Gastroenterol. 1984; 79: 249-252
- Molecular-phylogenetic characterization of microbial community imbalances in human inflammatory bowel diseases.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2007; 104: 13780-13785
- Dysbiosis in inflammatory bowel disease.Gut. 2004; 53: 1-4
- Increasing fecal butyrate in ulcerative colitis patients by diet: controlled pilot study.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2003; 9: 116-121
- An oral supplement enriched with fish oil, soluble fiber, and antioxidants for corticosteroid sparing in ulcerative colitis: a randomized, controlled trial.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 3: 358-369
- Treatment of ulcerative colitis by feeding with germinated barley foodstuff: first report of a multicenter open control trial.J Gastroenterol. 2002; 37: 67-72
- Germinated barley foodstuff feeding.Digestion. 2001; 63: 60-67
- Clinical trial: the microbiological and immunological effects of synbiotic consumption: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study in active Crohn’s disease.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 32: 872-883
- Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of fructo-oligosaccharides in active Crohn's disease.Gut. 2011; 60: 923-929
- Cellulose supplementation early in life ameliorates colitis in adult mice.PloS One. 2013; 8: e56685
- Effect of dietary inulin supplementation on inflammation of pouch mucosa in patients with an ileal pouch-anal anastomosis.Dis Colon Rectum. 2002; 45: 621-627
- The effects of an oral supplement enriched with fish oil, prebiotics, and antioxidants on nutrition status in Crohn’s disease patients.Nutr Clin Pract. 2011; 26: 463-473
- Dietary fiber information for individuals with Crohn disease: reports of gastrointestinal effects.Gastroenterol Nurs. 2013; 36: 320-327
- Effects of an oral supplementation of germinated barley foodstuff on serum tumour necrosis factor-α, interleukin-6 and-8 in patients with ulcerative colitis.Ann Clin Biochem. 2011; 48: 233-237
- A high-fiber diet may improve bowel function and health-related quality of life in patients with Crohn disease.Gastroenterol Nurs. 2014; 37: 206-216
- Treatment of Crohn's disease with an unrefined-carbohydrate, fibre-rich diet.BMJ. 1979; 2: 764-766
Kellogg's. A historical overview. Our history. Available at: http://www.kellogghistory.com/history.html. Accessed July 7, 2015.
- Environmental triggers for inflammatory bowel disease.Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2013; 15: 302-309
- A prospective study of long-term intake of dietary fiber and risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.Gastroenterology. 2013; 145: 970-977
- Controlled multicentre therapeutic trial of an unrefined carbohydrate, fibre rich diet in Crohn's disease.BMJ. 1987; 295: 517-520
- Low residue or normal diet in Crohn's disease: a prospective controlled study in Italian patients.BMJ. 1985; 26: 989-993
- Diet in the pathogenesis and treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases.Gastroenterology. 2015; 148: 1087-1106
Watch this article's video abstract and others at http://bit.ly/1C2wSLn.
Conflicts of interest This author discloses the following: Millie D. Long has done consulting for Salix, Abbvie, and NPS Pharmaceuticals outside the submitted work. The remaining authors disclose no conflicts.
Funding This research was supported, in part, by grants from the National Institutes of Health (P30 DK034987), the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (through contract from CCFA No. 00074000), and the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (Award No. 3374).