Background & Aims
Abbreviations used in this paper:ASA (acetylsalicylic acid), lac/man ratio (lactulose/mannitol ratio), VCE (video capsule endoscopy)
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Collaborative meta-analysis of randomized trials of antiplatelet therapy for the prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke in high risk patients.BMJ. 2002; 324: 71-86
- Risk of gastrointestinal haemorrhage with long term use of aspirin: meta-analysis.BMJ. 2000; 321: 1183-1187
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding associated with use of low dose aspirin.Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 2218-2224
- Low-dose aspirin and upper gastrointestinal damage: epidemiology, prevention and treatment.Curr Med Res Opin. 2007; 23: 163-173
- Side effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on the small and large intestine in humans.Gastroenterology. 1993; 104: 1832-1847
- High prevalence of NSAID enteropathy as shown by a simple faecal test.Gut. 1999; 45: 362-366
- Blood and protein loss via small intestinal inflammation induced by nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs.Lancet. 1987; 2: 711-714
- The effect of NSAIDs and prostaglandins on the permeability of the human small intestine.Gut. 1986; 27: 1292-1297
- Intestinal permeability, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug enteropathy and inflammatory bowel disease: an overview.Gut. 1989; 30: 22-28
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced gastrointestinal permeability.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1998; 12: 303-320
- Acute gastrointestinal permeability responses to different non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Gut. 2001; 49: 650-655
- Wireless capsule endoscopy.Nature. 2000; 405: 417
- Intestinal permeability and inflammation in patients on NSAIDs.Gut. 1998; 43: 506-511
- Prophylactic aspirin therapy does not increase faecal calprotectin concentrations.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006; 18: 965-967
- Visible small-intestinal mucosal injury in chronic NSAID users.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 3: 55-59
- Small bowel enteropathy associated with chronic low-dose aspirin therapy.Lancet. 2007; 369: 614
- Optimal dose regimens of esomeprazole for gastric acid suppression with minimal influence of the CYP2C19 polymorphism.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2009; 65: 55-64
- Rabeprazole 10 mg twice daily is superior to 20 mg once daily for night-time gastric acid suppression.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 19: 113-122
- Video capsule endoscopy to prospectively assess small bowel injury with celecoxib, naproxen plus omeprazole, and placebo.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 3: 133-141
- Improved assay for fecal calprotectin.Clin Chim Acta. 2000; 191: 41-54
- A quantitative analysis of NSAID-induced small bowel pathology by capsule enteroscopy.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 128: 117-118
- Sucrose: a novel permeability marker for gastroduodenal disease.Gastroenterology. 1993; 104: 1619-1626
- Parietal cells of the stomach trap salicylates during absorption.Biochem Pharmacol. 1977; 26: 1735-1740
- Sustained release and enteric coated NSAIDs: are they really GI safe?.J Pharm Pharm Sci. 1999; 2: 5-14
- Intestinal perforation following enteral administration of indomethacin.J Pediatr. 1985; 106: 277-281
Conflicts of interest Dr Lanas is advisor to Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Bayer. The remaining authors disclose no conflicts.
Funding This independent study was supported by the Grupo de Investigación en Gastroenterologia from the Instituto Aragones de Ciencias de la Salud and the CIBERehd (Zaragoza, Spain).